These vitamin-packed peppers are the perfect dish for the summer when zucchini and red bell peppers are at their finest. In autumn, switch out the red peppers for acorn or butternut squash. The salty flavors of the olives and capers in our Puttanesca Sauce pair well with the comforting turkey sausage. Add some rice or some Cucina Fresca pasta to make it a complete meal.
1 jar Cucina Fresca Puttanesca Sauce
2 large red bell peppers
Olive oil, as needed
1/2 pound turkey sausage, removed from their casings
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 tsp dried thyme
3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Cut the peppers in half, lengthwise, and remove all of their seeds and ribs. Lightly brush each pepper with olive oil, season with a little salt and pepper, and bake in the oven 5-6 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté turkey sausage for 5-6 minutes and break up the meat into small pieces.
4. Once the sausage is almost finished cooking, add the zucchini. Cook 3-4 minutes.
5. Add Puttanesca sauce and thyme. Bring mixture up to a boil and cook 4 more minutes to thicken and reduce. Remove from heat and mix in parsley.
6. Stuff each pepper with the sausage and zucchini mixture and top each pepper with 1/4 cup of the grated Parmesan.
7. Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.